Overlooked Gems of My Lifetime

Credit is given where credit is due regarding the overlooked gems of my lifetime.

Thursday, September 07, 2006

Paul Quandt


I recently saw the kids' movie How to Eat Fried Worms. It was a delightful, down-to-earth, and purely kid-centered underdog/boy dynamics movie. Really sweet. Anything the kids laughed at we laughed at, and vice versa. Few if any modern-day pop culture references and obvious traces of cross-marketing campaigns. Beyonce did not promote her new single, and the kids did not open their refridgerator doors to shelves full of Pepsi. Even that annoying little girl from the old Pepsi ads didn't get under my skin. I'm growing up and getting old, sure, but this movie struck me as about as sweet and pure as kids' movies gets these days.

During the movie, which featured a lot of bully-new kid showdowns leading to...well, I won't spoil anything, I started thinking about one of my favorite bully-new kid-underdog-boy dynamics movies, My Bodyguard, the 1980 film that introduced me to Matt Dillon, for whom I've always had an added attachment because he reminds me of my brother (although not his characters' lifestyle in certain movies). If you've somehow never seen this movie or you haven't seen it in 25 years and you now have kids ready to try "old" movies, I heartily recommend you Netflix this baby. While you watch it, see if you're not drawn into the character of Carson, the little squirt friend of Clifford (Chris Makepeace), played by Paul Quandt. This Quandt kid hits just the right, downbeat, downtrodden, all-knowing note. The great Roger Ebert singled out his performance, saying, "there's another kid, the solemn-faced, wide-eyed Paul Quandt, who steals a couple of scenes with his absolute certainty that the worst is yet to come." Now, check out the link to this review, and see if notice the one thing missing from Paul Quandt's name relative to the names of his costars.

OK, did you get it yet? If not, click on that first, imdb.com link I gave you when I introduced Quandt into this discussion. I'll give it to you here, again. Look at that filmography! Talk about your 1-hit wonders. I've searched high and low on the Web for an update on this guy, and I've found NOTHING of substance beside those mad props from Ebert. It's an endless loop of that sole, barren filmography entry. I've discussed it with people in the know, people in the industry, and they have no idea what happened to this kid. Where are the "Where are they now stories" on the guy? Is he living, is he dead? Did the worst indeed come? I hope not, Paul. Take care!

22 Comments:

  • At 7:17 PM, Blogger Reel Fanatic said…

    I'd have to agree wholeheartedly that My Bodyguard is a great little flick .. a similar one from that time I still have a lot of love for ie Lucas .. that just gets me every time

     
  • At 9:32 PM, Blogger Don said…

    His role in the film was a bit of a fluke. He auditioned for a larger role, didn't get it, but the producers liked him and wrote his role especially for him. After that, he didn't do any acting. He lived across the street from my grandparents and we played in high school orchestra together. I don't think he even did as much as a school play after My Bodyguard.

     
  • At 11:11 PM, Blogger frankenslade said…

    Thanks for that story, Don. Very cool!

     
  • At 11:15 AM, Blogger Tony said…

    Unfortunately Paul passed due to a motorcycle accident. I also watched My Bodyguard today after some 30 years and was looking to see if he had made some more movies. Weird tho that he never got into anything else. Nothing on him anywhere. He was one of the great things about that movie.

     
  • At 4:24 AM, Blogger Mississippi Madman said…

    Paul Quandt is alive and well living in Northern Will County in Illinois.He never pursued any further acting parts. As to the comment by Tony of Pauls passing,absolutely not true what so ever.

    I should know Im his older brother Cort.

     
  • At 12:16 AM, Blogger swaney said…

    mississippi madman my dad was mr swanson at morton east in cicero n always would tell me how paul was in his class can u see if that triggers any memories for him i would love to talk to him about it

     
  • At 10:59 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Paul Quandt was a screen name used by a one time actor. The actor is a New York resident that now works as a writer and supposedly is a New York City Fireman as well

     
  • At 11:00 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    This comment has been removed by the author.

     
  • At 9:30 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    See link.. theres a picture. It sure looks like Paul all grown up. http://www.hci.org/presenter/paul-quandt

     
  • At 2:35 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Tony said...
    Unfortunately Paul passed due to a motorcycle accident

    A conversation on IMDB when it had chats had gone through that and someone provided proof that it was a different Paul Quandt who was killed.

     
  • At 6:46 PM, Blogger Mississippi Madman said…

    At 10:59 AM, Blogger Jaoquin said…

    Paul Quandt was a screen name used by a one time actor. The actor is a New York resident that now works as a writer and supposedly is a New York City Fireman as well


    This is ABSOLUTELY FALSE. Paul W Quandt is not a screen name. Its his actual name. He is NOT a resident of New York, He lives in Illinois and is NOT a FDNY fireman. Please before you post something do a little reaseach. Mr Quandt DOES have a brother that can verify ACTUAL FACTS as opposed to blog hype. THANKS!

     
  • At 6:48 PM, Blogger Mississippi Madman said…

    Blogger Jeff Jacobi said...
    See link.. theres a picture. It sure looks like Paul all grown up. http://www.hci.org/presenter/paul-quandt

    9:30 PM

    That him! Thats my brother!

     
  • At 9:09 AM, Blogger frankenslade said…

    As the author of this appreciation of young Paul’s work in My Bodyguard, I sure do hope he’s alive and well. The point of my appreciation was not to dig into the man’s life and any surrounding rumors, but to say, simply, “Man, that little kid gave a killer performance that resonates across time!” I appreciate people’s interest in this post and shared - even personal - connections. It really blows my mind that this humble blog post has resonated through the years. Thanks!

     
  • At 3:49 PM, Blogger Mississippi Madman said…

    frankenslade, thank YOU for the blog! It was interesting when they made that film at LakeView HS in chicago. Many years later that was the district I worked in when I worked CHA. I would like to keep up with this blog and deflect any inaccuracies so that Paul (my brother) is always kept in good light.

     
  • At 2:15 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Here is a link to an obituary of ANOTHER Paul Quandt. Apparently the reason why some think Carson is deceased.


    http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/lowellsun/obituary.aspx?n=paul-e-quandt-q&pid=19212571

     
  • At 4:34 PM, Blogger Voices Carry said…

    Good to know. He was one of my favorites in the movie.

     
  • At 12:08 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Carson was a big reason that M.B. is almost the perfect movie. Ruth Gordon, John Houseman and the hilarious Craig Richard Nelson as they almost reprise their Paper Chase characters, Adam Baldwin and Paul Quandt all little gems. When I was 17 I wanted Ms Jump for my teacher, Kathryn Grody was that good. (she's been married to Mandy Patinkin since they were both kids) Pre-Cheers George Wendt and my sister's friend Tim Kazurinsky too. And Joan Cusack, whose dad played toe principal. When they were filming exteriors we lived at the Ambassador East and we used to watch filming there and at Lake View, in the film named Fleer HS. For the scene in the diner where Moody gets mustarded, we got up at 5 a.m. to watch them shoot that which was supposed to be after school. I think that place was on Ashland but the street they run across is Western. Another thing I remember is that the Ambassador East had no neon sign on its roof; the prop people erected it for filming. When I went back to the AE in about 1985 there were broken sections of it laying about on the roof where the sign had been. I still have one. And remember the couple that Ruth Gordon drinks with, the Dunphys from Cincinnati? At the time, the Ambassador East was owned by Dunphy Hotels. Thanks for the forum to relive that great time.








     
  • At 7:32 PM, Blogger Mike said…

    any behind the scenes footage? That would be Great, love My Bodyguard.

     
  • At 12:30 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    I just noticed he's exactly 7 months older than me: my birthday is 6/2/67! I saw the movie and was starstruck when I saw him at my school! I went to Morton East High School at the time...
    I remember seeing his name on the back of his jacket and asking if he was the same one from the movie ... I think I floated home - of which he walked me partway lol Although we don't chat I'm honored to have him among my Facebook 'friends'... You have an amazing brother!

     
  • At 10:20 PM, Blogger Mississippi Madman said…

    To unknown...thank you why yes I do have a pretty amazing bro. I appreciate the comment.

     
  • At 7:32 AM, Blogger Daurade said…

    For some reason I was thinking about this movie today. Definitely marked me when I saw it at age 10 or 11. And I looks thru the comments. That link to HCI....guy definitely is outlook Carson!

     
  • At 6:54 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    I'm 52 - a fan of MY Bodyguard for a long time. I was bullied as a kid SO I could relate to the story. I remember Paul Quandt - he stood out as the meek but smart kid who KNEW what to expect. I don't know why I remember his performance but I do and am glad I stumbled across this Blog. I'm glad he's doing well and I wish him well.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home